Here are highlights of upcoming events sponsored by the City of Pasadena. All events are free.
Tuesday, Sept. 22
* 4 p.m. – Children 5 to 12 will listen to stories and make their very own piñatas in celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month at Hastings Branch Library, 3325 E. Orange Grove Blvd. (626) 744-7262.
* 6:30 p.m. – Help map out Pasadena’s most important qualities and characteristics and define the community’s most pressing issues during a General Plan community workshop at La Casita del Arroyo, 177 S. Arroyo Blvd. (626) 744-4009.
Wednesday, Sept. 23
* 1 p.m. – This week’s film in the Donald R. Wright Auditorium at Pasadena Central Library, 285 E. Walnut St., is “Freedom Writers” starring Hilary Swank, Patrick Dempsey and Scott Glenn in the true story of a young teacher who inspires her at-risk students to keep journals and applies lessons from history to help break the cycle of violence and despair that threatens their young lives. (626) 744-4066.
* 6:30 p.m. – If you can’t make the Sept. 22 General Plan community workshop, there are other opportunities including this one at First Church of the Nazarene of Pasadena, 3700 E. Sierra Madre Blvd. www.cityofpasadena.net/generalplan. (626) 744-4009.
Friday, Sept. 25
* 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. – City of Pasadena administrative offices will be closed.
* 1 p.m. – Step into the world of social networking with “Facebook for Grownups” at La Pintoresca Branch Library to learn what Facebook is, how it works and how to create your own page. Reservations are required: (626) 744-7268.
Saturday, Sept. 26
* 10 a.m. to noon – Learn how to recycle your yard waste and kitchen scraps into environmental responsible compost that’s great for the garden during a workshop at Linda Vista Branch Library, 1281 Bryant St. Compost bins will be on sale for $50. (626) 744-7278.
* 1 p.m. -- Heavy lifters will compete for trophies and prizes during the fifth annual bench press competition at Villa-Parke Community Center, 363 E. Villa St. These folks aren't just playing around -- they're accustomed to lifting 200 pounds or more! (626) 744-6523.
Bridge of Sighs
2 weeks ago