Thursday, February 18, 2010

Our Visit to San Rafael School


Mayor Bill Bogaard and I spoke to fourth, fifth and sixth graders at San Rafael Elementary School on Wednesday. We showed them a video that was played at the State of the City event and talked about our respective roles with the City of Pasadena.


Mayor Bogaard answered questions from several individual students. They asked great questions, such as how old does one have to be to run for mayor, where did you go to elementary school, and how much time do you get to spend with your family. That's San Rafael Principal Alyson Beecher on the left.


We ended the program by asking some questions of our own, which I'll ask you now.

1. In what year did Pasadena begin operating as a city?

2. How many people live in Pasadena?

3. How many students attend public schools in Pasadena?

4. How many city libraries are in Pasadena?

5. Characters from what famous story are carved into the fireplace in the Children’s Room at Pasadena Central Library?

6. How many city parks are in Pasadena?

7. How much money does your city government spend every year?

8. In what nations does Pasadena have sister cities?

9. What do you like most about Pasadena?

10. What is your favorite place to go in Pasadena?

The person with the most correct answers submitted the soonest via comment on this blog will win a fabulous prize!

Mystery History will return on Tuesday of next week.

8 comments:

ben wideman said...

I'm not sure what most of the answers are, but I'm sure bringing my camera into the childrens section of the library to see the carved characters!

Petrea Burchard said...

This is hard! I have to go study. At one of our city's libraries.

Cafe Pasadena said...

It's good to see you & the mayor getting out of Citihall.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

uh...I'm still waiting for my last fabulous prize

#8 Finland

Bellis said...

Ann, Gosh, this is a tough assignment but I would like a second T-shirt to go with the one I haven't collected from you yet, so here goes, and thanks for he challenge. I'm sure the kids from San Rafael will do better:

1. March 1886
2. 150,185
3. 19,654
4. 10
5. Peter Pan
6. 23
7. I think I've failed with this one - can't find it written in plain English. My guess is between $615 and 625 million.
8. Finland, Germany, Japan, China, Morocco and Armenia
9. Its history and culture
10. Hahamongna

pasadenapio said...

Since Barbara Ellis is the only person to brave the perils of the quiz, she wins the prize!

Here are the answers:

1. 1886
2. Our best guesstimate: 148,000 (pending the 2010 U.S. Census count)
3. 15,445
4. 10
5. Peter Pan
6. 24
7. This fiscal year it will be $614 million
8. Germany, Japan, Finland, Armenia and China

Bellis said...

Ann, I'm delighted to have won another fabulous prize but I'm a bit puzzled that some of your answers don't match up what's in Wikipedia and Pasadena City websites, particularly questions 2, 3, 6 and 8. Never mind, I graciously accept the prize, many thanks.

Petrea Burchard said...

Woops. I dropped the ball on this. I'm involved with another project that's almost finished and I'm not doing much else right now.

That's okay because Bellis deserves to win. Congratulations, Bellis!