Friday, October 29, 2010

Out My Front Door


Yesterday morning when I opened my front door to go to work, the air was so crisp and clean, the grass was so green from the rains and the mountain was so beautiful that I quickly took out my camera and snapped a shot.

I live in an 1,100-square-foot house on a 10,000-square-foot lot, and the house is set all the way at the back of the property. All of the properties on my block are zoned R-2 (two residential structures per parcel), but mine is a rare one that doesn't have a second house on it.

That allows for the park-like yard with the huge sycamore and two Deodar cedars all lined in a row, with the mountain as a backdrop.

I don't know when the trees were planted, but they're definitely mature. The house was built in 1922.


Over the 20 years I've lived here, some friends and neighbors have pressed me to build a duplex in front of my house as an income property. But then my view would be the back side of a duplex. And the cedars would have to go.

I work long hours, and sitting on my front porch every morning to sip tea and enjoy the view is a big part of my quality of life.

I water some plants but I almost never water my lawn. It's pretty big, so watering is an expensive proposition. Therefore, thankfully, my water bill from PWP is very low.

Hey, remember that Pasadena's cool-season lawn and landscape watering schedule kicks in on Monday, Nov. 1. It's a mandatory cutback! More info here.


UPDATE: I shot this photo at 7:00 this morning when I was sipping tea on one of the rocking chairs on my front porch. This view, or the back side of a duplex? I'll take this one.

10 comments:

Jean Spitzer said...

Beautiful. Your neighbors are lucky you've kept this open area.

I love the old sycamores (even though they have an unfortunate and dangerous tendency to drop limbs).

tavo said...

No place like home... Beautiful!

Gina said...

The trees are priceless.

We have a huge garden/mini farm and find that with adequate mulching we actually don't even need to water at all this time of year - we turned off our sprinklers when it started raining a couple of weeks ago and probably won't turn them back on until March/April. Yea for free water from the sky!

Pasadena Adjacent said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Petrea Burchard said...

Mountains and trees. Yes.

I don't know where people get the idea that quality of life comes from dollars. It's my opinion that that fear-based idea got us into the recession.

Actually, I do know where they got the idea, but that's a different diatribe.

Your yard is lovely and I'm glad you're keeping it that way.

Susan Campisi said...

Hi Ann, as your neighbor just a few houses down and I can tell you I am one who most definitely appreciates your beautiful front yard!

I live in the duplex, shared with Dwight and Maro. You and I have met at a couple of wine tastings but it has been awhile. I'm surprised we haven't run into each other in the neighborhood. I guess our schedules are out of sync. Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and thanks for choosing to save your trees and yard.

Jean Spitzer said...

View,definitely.

Mountains like these are some of the things I miss here in Austin. But Petrea's right, things, even beautiful views, are not the most important consideration.

Anonymous said...

Nice picture Ann. I really miss Pasadena. We've been out here in Norco for over 10 years.

Best wishes,

Craig and Stef

West Coast Grrlie Blather said...

You have your own green space. Lovely!

Patrizzi Intergarlictica said...

no, no, no, no never never never build on there. :-I